Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas Dishes in the World

 It is in the middle of December and Christmas is coming<3
Do you have any plan on Christmas Eve and Christmas?
What are you going to have for dinner on Christmas?
Nowadays Christmas is very popular in Japan and many shops or trees are decorated by linghts or ornaments beautifully.


 
Christmas Fancy Cake
 
Then, I talk about what they eat on Christmas in the world today!
First of all, what do we Japanese eat on Christmas?
Most Japanese imagine that the table is spread with Christmas cake and fried chicken.

Fried Chicken
Most Christmas cakes in Japan are fancy cakes. It is said that "Fujiya" made the very first beginning of Christmas cake in Taisho era. I guess that fried chicken sold in KFC is the most popular in Japan. Christmas dishes in Japan is influenced by American Christmas meals, but it was hard to get turkey in Japan, fried chiken became popular.


Northern Europe


Ris a la Malta


Julskinka
 
In Norther European countries such as Norway or Finland, roasted pork is eaten for main dish on Christmas. The roasted ham is called "Julskinka" and it is also known as "Christmas Ham". They roast a chunk of ham rub with salt, then put mustard on it, dust ham with bread crums and eggs. Also they eat rice-pudding called "Ris a la Malta" with jam. Their dishes are different from what we eat in Japan.




The U.K.


Christmas pudding
 They have Roast beef or turkey on Christmas. Their traditional Christmas cake is "Christmas pudding." It is like a pound cake (called madeira cake in England) which many kinds of dried-fruits are used in.
I didn't know that a pudding like this are eaten in U.K., I want to try it.
They put a ring, a coin or a thimble into a pudding and tell thier fortune according to what they get in a piece of cake after cutting cake. It is said that you can get married early if you find a ring in it, you can be rich if you find a coin in it, you might remain single for life if you find a thimble in it.


Germany


Stollen

On Christmas, they eat traditional dishes such as meal used pork, sausages, potatoes in Germany. The most popular cake is "Stollen." According to Wikipedia, "a Stollen is a loaf-shaped cake containing dried fruit, and covered with sugar, powdered sugar or icing sugar. The cake is usually made with chopped candied fruit and/or dried fruit, nuts and spices."





These are their tradtional Christmas meals in other countries.
My mother makes a chocolate fancy cake on Christmas every year. This year, I am thinking about making other kind of cake for my mother and father with my younger brother. We both like making sweets, so I want to try it:)

4 comments:

  1. For Christmas my family usually eats a Christmas ham with rolls, potatoes, lots of vegetables, and pie for dessert. But now that all the kids are gone, my mom prefers to make sukiyaki instead. I think my dad misses traditional American meals, but he likes sukiyaki so he doesn't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your post made me hungry.
    I have never knwn that Fujiya is the first shop which made a Christmas cake. I havent eaten rice pdding but i wanna try it. I have tasted rice yogurt but it was terrible actually. lol

    After reading your blog, I was thinking what I am going to make as christmas dinner. I asked my boyfriend what he want to eat and he said "Hot pot" it made me realyl sadlol I wanted to make the dishes that you introduce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dream is to spend chrismas in Germany. I wanna eat stollen and drink hot wine while walking big christmas market. By the way, I don't think it is good to celebrate christmas with fast food like KFC. it's one of the funny japanese cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pictures look so delicious!!
    I'm getting hungry....lol
    I want to spend Christmas at a lot of places in the world!

    ReplyDelete